To install click the Add extension button. That's it.

The source code for the WIKI 2 extension is being checked by specialists of the Mozilla Foundation, Google, and Apple. You could also do it yourself at any point in time.

Kelly Slayton
Congratulations on this excellent venture… what a great idea!
Alexander Grigorievskiy
I use WIKI 2 every day and almost forgot how the original Wikipedia looks like.
Live Statistics
English Articles
Improved in 24 Hours
Added in 24 Hours
Show all languages
What we do. Every page goes through several hundred of perfecting techniques; in live mode. Quite the same Wikipedia. Just better.

Taxation in Sweden

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taxation in Sweden on salaries for an employee involves contributing to three different levels of government: the municipality, the county council, and the central government. Social security contributions are paid to finance the social security system.

Income tax on salaries is deducted by the employer (a PAYE system) and paid directly by the employer to the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

The effective taxation rate in Sweden is commonly cited as among the highest in the world; see list of countries by tax rates.

Total tax revenue as a percentage of GDP for Sweden over the past several decades compared to other highly developed states
Total tax revenue as a percentage of GDP for Sweden over the past several decades compared to other highly developed states

Sweden has a taxation system for income from work that combines an income tax (paid by the employee) with social security contributions (employers contributions) that are paid by the employer. The total salary cost for the employer is thereby the gross salary plus the social security contributions. The employer makes monthly preliminary deductions (PAYE) for income tax and also pays the social security contributions to the Swedish Tax Agency.

The income tax is contingent on the person being taxable in Sweden, and the social security contributions are contingent on the person being part of the Swedish social insurance plan. The income tax is finalised through a yearly tax assessment the year following the income year.[1]

27% of taxpayer money in Sweden goes towards education and healthcare, whereas 5% goes to the police and military, and 42% to social security.[2]

YouTube Encyclopedic

  • 1/5
    2 938
    16 940
    8 206
  • ✪ Taxes in Sweden
  • ✪ Norwegian Taxes - How much do Norwegians pay in taxes?
  • ✪ Taxes and climate policy in Sweden | Susanne Akerfeldt
  • ✪ Swedish taxes
  • ✪ Samuel Engblom: Sweden's tax, employment law and social security system


The Swedish tax system consists of direct taxes such as state tax and municipal income tax and taxes on national capital gains as well as indirect taxes and charges such VAT and duties on certain products. When you get a job, the employer will pay you a net salary. Your income tax is deducted at source. Your employer will also pay an additional employers’ contribution to the Swedish Tax Agency. The municipal income tax lies on average at 32 % of your salary. This tax includes all social insurance contributions except unemployment insurance contributions. If your taxable income exceeds a certain amount, you also pay state income tax. If you live abroad and work in Sweden for less than six months there is the possibility of paying lower tax. As an employee you are entitled to receive a written salary specification showing your salary and the deductions made. Everyone is obliged to file an income tax return with the Swedish Tax Agency each year, usually around May 1st.


Value added tax

The value added tax (mervärdesskatt or moms) rate in Sweden is 25%, with exceptions for food and services like hotel room rental fees (12%), and for sales of publications, admission tickets to cultural events and travel within Sweden (6%).[3]

Income tax

Sweden has a progressive income tax, the general rates for 2018 are as follows (based on yearly incomes):

  • 0% from 0 kronor to 18,800 kronor
  • Circa 32% (ca. 11% county and 20% municipality tax which is the Swedish average): from 18,800 kronor to 468,700 kronor
  • 32% + 20%: from 468,700 kronor to 675,700 kronor
  • 32% + 25%: above 675,700 kronor[4]

The first 18,000 kronor of the yearly income are not taxed. Taxable income is reduced by general deductions which means that the marginal tax in practice varies between 7% on incomes just above 18,800 kronor to 60.1% on incomes above 675,700 kronor.[5]

For an average salary, on an additional pay of 100 kronor, the employee first pays 32 kronor in income tax (direct, 32%); on top of that, the employer pays an additional 31.42 kronor in employer's social fees (indirect, 31.42%) as a fee for the employee's adherence to the Swedish social security scheme. The effective rate may be lowered by, for example, earned income tax credits and other deductions.

In addition, the employee pays 7% in pension contributions to the public system, with a cap at an annual income of 420,447 kr. Thus, the maximum employee contribution is 29,400 kr. The employee's contributions are fully tax-deductible.

Social security contributions

In 2018, the Swedish social security contribution paid by the employer is 31.42%, calculated on top of the employee's salary before taxes. The percentage is lower for old employees.[6] The specifics of the social security contributions (payroll tax in US English, National Insurance in UK English) may be found at the Swedish Tax Agency's Website.[7]

Capital gains

Sweden has a flat tax rate of 30% for capital gains.[8] The Swedish tax authorities defines capital gains as incomes that can not be attributed to business operations or service. For example; rental of private assets, dividends, profit from the sale of assets and interest payments.[9]

Corporation tax

Sweden's corporation tax rate is 22%.[10]

Registering a non-Swedish company or sole trader in Sweden

A foreign company conducting business in Sweden, whether a natural or a legal person, may become taxable for VAT, employer's contributions and/or income tax. The company should then apply for registration at the Swedish Tax Agency, and may apply for a Swedish F-tax certificate.

In the ‘Tax application for foreign entrepreneurs´ brochure and form, SKV 419 and SKV 4632 respectively, there is information on how to submit the application.

Sole traders who have a Swedish personal number, and corporations that have a representative who has a Swedish personal number and who is also authorised to sign (authorised to sign by himself) on behalf of the company, may submit the application electronically through the website. is jointly managed by the Swedish Tax Agency, the Swedish Companies Registration Office and the Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth. Other foreign companies may submit their application directly to the International Tax Offices[11] at the Swedish Tax Agency by post. When registered with the Swedish Tax Agency, the foreign company receives a unique Swedish identity number. For natural persons to receive such a number they must verify their identity with a passport or another such identity card or documentation. For a legal person it is required that the identity is verified with some form of attested certificate of registration/incorporation and that the representative demonstrates his/her authority to represent (sign) on behalf of the legal person when it requests registration for taxation. Foreign legal persons active in Sweden should first contact the Swedish Companies Registration Office to ask if they are required to register a branch office. If such a registration is made with the Swedish Companies Registration Office, they will supplied with a Swedish registration number by the Swedish Tax Agency. For contact information, see the Swedish Companies Registrations Office website.

Further information in English can be found on the Swedish Tax Agency's website.[12]

Note that buying a Swedish company or Swedish real-estate does not necessarily give right of residence in Sweden. Fraudsters in e.g. Egypt have sold such assets claiming they would give right of residence.[13]

See also


  1. ^ "För arbetsgivare". (in Swedish). Swedish Tax Agency.
  2. ^ "Offentliga sektorns utgifter". August 22, 2017.
  3. ^ "Momsbroschyren (SKV 552)". (in Swedish). Swedish Tax Agency.
  4. ^ "Skatteverket, om statlig inkomstskatt". (in Swedish). Swedish Tax Agency.
  5. ^ "Kommunal och statlig inkomstskatt". (in Swedish). Retrieved 2018-06-22.
  6. ^ Ekonomifakta: Sociala avgifter
  7. ^ "Arbetsgivaravgifter". (in Swedish). Swedish Tax Agency.
  8. ^ Guide, Global Property (1 August 2016). "Medium rental income taxes and CGT".
  9. ^
  10. ^ "How Scandinavian Countries Pay for Their Government Spending - Tax Foundation". 10 June 2015.
  11. ^ "Utlandsskattekontor i Malmö och Stockholm" [International Tax Offices in Malmö and Stockholm]. (in Swedish). Swedish Tax Agency.
  12. ^ ' Tax registration of foreign companies, Swedish Tax Agency
  13. ^ Henke, Jesper (13 June 2013). "Tomtköp skulle ge uppehållstillstånd" (in Swedish). Sveriges Television.

Further reading

This page was last edited on 25 November 2019, at 21:45
Basis of this page is in Wikipedia. Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported License. Non-text media are available under their specified licenses. Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. WIKI 2 is an independent company and has no affiliation with Wikimedia Foundation.